Beer Worth US$8.7 Billion Sold in Canada Last Year

Published By : 04 May 2015 | Published By : QYRESEARCH

Beer continues to be the alcoholic drink of preference in Canada with beer worth US$8.7 billion sold in 2014 alone. Liquor agencies, liquor stores, and other retail outlets sold alcoholic beverages worth a total of US$20.5 billion during the fiscal year 2013-2014, which was reportedly higher by 1.1 per cent from the previous year. The overall rise in the sales of alcoholic beverages was down to 1.1 per cent in 2013-2014, when compared to the previous year’s gain of 2.2 per cent.

The rate of growth in terms of sales value of coolers, ciders, and other refreshment drinks was up by 9.5 per cent, which was higher than spirits and wine. The sales of Canadian beer was down by 0.6 per cent while sales of imported beer rose by 3.3 per cent. Among the different territories and provinces, the sale of beer was highest in Nunavut, with a share of 57 per cent of the overall alcoholic beverages sales. British Columbia had the least market share of 37 per cent. 

Liquor agencies, liquor stores, and other retail outlets sold wine worth US$6.4 billion during the year which ended on March 31, 2014. The sales were up by 2.3 per cent compared to that of the previous year. Gains were reported from every territory and province. Newfoundland and Labrador presented the highest growth of +9.1 per cent, which was followed by Saskatchewan with +6.4 per cent.

By volume, the sales of wine rose by 1.0 per cent compared to a year earlier, with 461.7 million litres sold in 2013-2014. The rise in volume of imported wine was +1.1 per cent, which surpassed that of Canadian wine, which was +0.8 per cent. 
Back To Top